List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jay Blanchard Date:October 25 2004 7:00pm
Subject:RE: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null records
View as plain text
[snip]
I cant tell if this is a bug or a feature.

Select from table where col <> 'blah'

I use this all the time with other databases, works great, gives me
everything that's not "blah"

but in mysql, it wont work if there's null records in the table

I have to do this, select from table where ( col <> 'blah or isnull(col)
)
[/snip]

Feaature.

Thematically NULL is not the same as NOT EQUAL TO something. Something
can be NOT NULL, and if it is NOT NULL it could then be EQUAL TO or NOT
EQUAL TO something. NOT NULL is the state of having or being
'something', whereas NULL is that indescribable state of not being
anything...for even zero is 'something'.

MySQL Philosophy 101 :)
Thread
bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsmatt_lists25 Oct
  • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsKeith Ivey25 Oct
    • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsSGreen25 Oct
  • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsPaul DuBois25 Oct
  • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsHarald Fuchs28 Oct
  • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsJigal van Hemert28 Oct
    • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null records(Pete Harlan)29 Oct
  • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsHarald Fuchs28 Oct
  • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsJigal van Hemert28 Oct
  • Re: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsMartijn Tonies30 Oct
RE: bug or feature, <> 'blah' does NOT work with null recordsJay Blanchard25 Oct