List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:October 20 2004 8:34am
Subject:Re: Innodb foreign keys names
View as plain text
 Hello Heikki,

> >> you can give the name yourself in new versions. Please look at the
InnoDB
> >> manual section.
> >
> > "A constraint name can be given as of MySQL 4.0.18"
> >
> > Ah, by itself - a great feature. Pain in the *** though, that it has
been
> > added in (yet another) _minor_ MySQL update. This makes providing
> > tools for it quite a burden...
>
> the change was necessary to get DROP FOREIGN KEY to replicate. It was a
bug
> fix, that is why I put the change to a minor MySQL version:
>
> "
> Fixed a bug: generate FOREIGN KEY constraint identifiers locally for each
> table, in the form db_name/tbl_name_ibfk_number. If the user gives the
> constraint name explicitly, then remember it. These changes should ensure
> that foreign key id's in a slave are the same as in the master, and DROP
> FOREIGN KEY does not break replication. (Bug #2167)
> "

If you look at it that way - well done :-) ... Didn't think about that.

> I agree that in the future, we have to try to make less changes to stable
> versions of MySQL, and put new features only in new major versions.
>
> > The good thing: this is an addition, unlike renaming a column returned
> > from SHOW TABLES :-/

Thank you for your reply.

One quick question: since what 4.1.x version is this supported? I cannot
find it in the bug database.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
Innodb foreign keys namesRichard - CEDRICOM8 Oct
Re: Innodb foreign keys namesHeikki Tuuri19 Oct
  • Re: Innodb foreign keys namesMartijn Tonies19 Oct
Re: Innodb foreign keys namesHeikki Tuuri19 Oct
  • Re: Innodb foreign keys namesMartijn Tonies20 Oct
Re: Innodb foreign keys namesHeikki Tuuri20 Oct
Re: Innodb foreign keys namesMartijn Tonies20 Oct
Re: Innodb foreign keys namesRichard - CEDRICOM20 Oct
Re: Innodb foreign keys namesHeikki Tuuri20 Oct