List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Heikki Tuuri Date:October 20 2004 8:20am
Subject:Re: Innodb foreign keys names
View as plain text
Martijn,

----- Original Message -----
From: ""Martijn Tonies"" <m.tonies@stripped>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 10:08 AM

> Hello Heikki,

>> >Does a newer version allow you to change/set the names yourself?
>>
>> you can give the name yourself in new versions. Please look at the InnoDB
>> manual section.
>
> "A constraint name can be given as of MySQL 4.0.18"
>
> Ah, by itself - a great feature. Pain in the *** though, that it has been
> added in (yet another) _minor_ MySQL update. This makes providing
> tools for it quite a burden...

the change was necessary to get DROP FOREIGN KEY to replicate. It was a bug
fix, that is why I put the change to a minor MySQL version:

"
Fixed a bug: generate FOREIGN KEY constraint identifiers locally for each
table, in the form db_name/tbl_name_ibfk_number. If the user gives the
constraint name explicitly, then remember it. These changes should ensure
that foreign key id's in a slave are the same as in the master, and DROP
FOREIGN KEY does not break replication. (Bug #2167)
"

I agree that in the future, we have to try to make less changes to stable
versions of MySQL, and put new features only in new major versions.

> The good thing: this is an addition, unlike renaming a column returned
> from SHOW TABLES :-/
>

> Thanks for pointing this out.
>
> With regards,
>
> Martijn Tonies

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM
tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php

Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/

> Database Workbench - developer tool for InterBase, Firebird, MySQL & MS
> SQL
> Server.
> Upscene Productions
> http://www.upscene.com

Thread
Innodb foreign keys namesRichard - CEDRICOM8 Oct
Re: Innodb foreign keys namesHeikki Tuuri19 Oct
  • Re: Innodb foreign keys namesMartijn Tonies19 Oct
Re: Innodb foreign keys namesHeikki Tuuri19 Oct
  • Re: Innodb foreign keys namesMartijn Tonies20 Oct
Re: Innodb foreign keys namesHeikki Tuuri20 Oct
Re: Innodb foreign keys namesMartijn Tonies20 Oct
Re: Innodb foreign keys namesRichard - CEDRICOM20 Oct
Re: Innodb foreign keys namesHeikki Tuuri20 Oct