List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Aaron Date:October 18 2004 11:58pm
Subject:Table Lock Delays and Connection Pooling
View as plain text
Hi all ,

I have a quick question regarding table locking.

This is a snippet referring to  when table locking is disadvantageous:
"Another client issues another SELECT statement on the same table. Because UPDATE has
higher priority than SELECT, this SELECT will wait for the UPDATE to finish. It will also
wait for the first SELECT to finish!"

So what constitutes a new client exactly? We use Perl and DBI to connect to MySQL. Does
this mean that everytime we connect to the DBase it is considered a new client? If so ,
would some form of connection pooling/caching help reduce the lock delays on a slow
SELECT statement?

Thanks !
Aaron

Thread
Table Lock Delays and Connection PoolingAaron19 Oct
  • Re: Table Lock Delays and Connection PoolingEric Bergen19 Oct