List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:October 5 2004 9:50am
Subject:Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEW
View as plain text
Hello Harald, others,

> > This is plain rubbish. See my other example with a more complicated
>
> > MS SQL, or Firebird, for example, store the view-source as defined -
> > this includes comments, spacing etc etc... In short: it becomes usuable.
>
> > MySQL should do this too. From reading these lists, I think MySQL
> > only stores the resulting structure - or something similar - and
> > (currently) not the view source. To make views useful, better change
> > it... :-)
>
> Nope.  A standards-compliant database is _required_ to store the
> structure of its objects in its internal information_schema, not some
> SQL string.  Of course MySQL isn't standards-compliant at all, but we
> should not make it worse by imitating the quirks of other DBMSs.

I'm unsure what to make of this statement --

I was asking if the view-source can be stored, so that it can be retrieved
the way I created it. Do you agree or disagree?

(and well, MySQL doesn't have an information schema yet, so that's
a no-go area right now).

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWMartijn Tonies29 Sep
  • Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWEldo Skaria4 Oct
    • Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWJochem van Dieten4 Oct
  • Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWMartijn Tonies4 Oct
  • Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWMartijn Tonies4 Oct
  • Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWHarald Fuchs5 Oct
    • Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWJochem van Dieten5 Oct
  • Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWMartijn Tonies5 Oct