List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Harald Fuchs Date:October 5 2004 9:46am
Subject:Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEW
View as plain text
In article <04c301c4aa45$45485490$c802a8c0@martijnlaptop>,
"Martijn Tonies" <m.tonies@stripped> writes:

> This is plain rubbish. See my other example with a more complicated

> MS SQL, or Firebird, for example, store the view-source as defined -
> this includes comments, spacing etc etc... In short: it becomes usuable.

> MySQL should do this too. From reading these lists, I think MySQL
> only stores the resulting structure - or something similar - and
> (currently) not the view source. To make views useful, better change
> it... :-)

Nope.  A standards-compliant database is _required_ to store the
structure of its objects in its internal information_schema, not some
SQL string.  Of course MySQL isn't standards-compliant at all, but we
should not make it worse by imitating the quirks of other DBMSs.

Thread
CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWMartijn Tonies29 Sep
  • Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWEldo Skaria4 Oct
    • Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWJochem van Dieten4 Oct
  • Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWMartijn Tonies4 Oct
  • Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWMartijn Tonies4 Oct
  • Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWHarald Fuchs5 Oct
    • Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWJochem van Dieten5 Oct
  • Re: CREATE VIEW gets all mangled up when doing SHOW CREATE VIEWMartijn Tonies5 Oct