List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:September 28 2004 8:54pm
Subject:RE: Multiple Insert Statement?
View as plain text
At 02:56 PM 9/28/2004, you wrote:

>Then I need help getting on the right track here. What I really want to do
>is something like the following:
>
>INSERT INTO wow.resume_erp (Candidate_ID, Section_ID, Section_Value) SELECT
>* FROM wow.resume r WHERE r.Candidate_ID = '13103';

You need to match up the columns in the Insert to the Select statement
(they both have to have the same number of columns and same column types
are preferred). So explicitly specify the columns in the Select statement as:

INSERT INTO wow.resume_erp (Candidate_ID, Section_ID, Section_Value) SELECT
Candidate_ID, Section_ID, Section_Value FROM wow.resume r WHERE
r.Candidate_ID = '13103';

Using "*" on your Select statements to fill an Insert is dangerous because
the table structure could change in the future.

Mike

>INSERT INTO wow.candidate_erp
>(Candidate_ID, Vendor_ID, Last_Name, First_Name, Middle_Initial,
>Condition_Type, Employer, Country_ID, Visa_Status, Dt_Visa, MMDD_Birth, SSN,
>CSG_Comments, Working, Available, Start_Date, Location, HoldOnPeriod,
>Relocation, Tech_Ranking, Comm_Ranking, Availability, Cert_Comments,
>Dt_Submitted, Def_Rate, Def_Rate_Unit, Other_Country, Currency_id,
>Interview_Availability, Interview_Contact, US_Experience, Location_Country)
>SELECT *
>FROM wow.candidate c
>WHERE c.Candidate_ID = '13103';
>
>Yet pulled from the resultset in this query:
>
>SELECT * FROM wow.resume r INNER JOIN wow.candidate c WHERE r.Section_ID =
>'1' AND MATCH (r.Section_Value) AGAINST ('+baan' IN BOOLEAN MODE) AND
>c.Candidate_ID = r.Candidate_ID;
>
>Perhaps the above isn't set up correctly, as when I attempt these queries:
>
>INSERT INTO wow.candidate_erp
>(Candidate_ID, Section_ID, Section_Value)
>SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS *
>FROM wow.candidate;
>
>INSERT INTO wow.resume_erp
>(Candidate_ID, Vendor_ID, Last_Name, First_Name, Middle_Initial,
>Condition_Type, Employer, Country_ID, Visa_Status, Dt_Visa, MMDD_Birth, SSN,
>CSG_Comments, Working, Available, Start_Date, Location, HoldOnPeriod,
>Relocation, Tech_Ranking, Comm_Ranking, Availability, Cert_Comments,
>Dt_Submitted, Def_Rate, Def_Rate_Unit, Other_Country, Currency_id,
>Interview_Availability, Interview_Contact, US_Experience, Location_Country)
>SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS *
>FROM wow.resume;
>
>...it returns an error of 1136: Column count doesn't match value count at
>row 1. The query "INSERT INTO wow.resume_erp (Candidate_ID, Section_ID,
>Section_Value) SELECT * FROM wow.resume r WHERE r.Candidate_ID = '13103';"
>is impractical when my results are over 400.
>
>Thanks,
>Eve
>

>--

ImagesGH28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesEric Bergen28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesJigal van Hemert28 Sep
    • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
      • Re: ImagesGH28 Sep
        • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
          • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
RE: Imagesjabbott28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesEric Bergen28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
  • Multiple Insert Statement?Eve Atley28 Sep
    • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?GH28 Sep
      • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?SGreen28 Sep
    • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Paul DuBois28 Sep
      • RE: Multiple Insert Statement?Eve Atley28 Sep
        • RE: Multiple Insert Statement?mos28 Sep
        • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Rhino28 Sep
        • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Rhino29 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesGH28 Sep
    • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep