List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Lazor Date:September 28 2004 6:50pm
Subject:RE: Images
View as plain text
I read through the article and ran some more tests.  The new scripts and
tables provide similar initial latency, but I think the test results show
them to be faster overall.

When it comes to latency, direct file access is still the champion without
caching.  I think you made a good point about throughput which makes MySQL
more appealing for storing larger files.  That kind of surprised me
actually, because I always figured I'd have to store things like PDF's on
disk and control access to them by putting them outside of the document
root.

There's still a question of whether caching provides the edge and at what
cost.  I haven't set up caching, so I'm not sure if it's complicated or not.
It would provide performance boosts to more than just images through, so it
seems worthwhile to explore.  That's what I'll be exploring next. =)

-Ed

Thread
ImagesGH28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesEric Bergen28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesJigal van Hemert28 Sep
    • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
      • Re: ImagesGH28 Sep
        • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
          • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
RE: Imagesjabbott28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesEric Bergen28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
  • Multiple Insert Statement?Eve Atley28 Sep
    • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?GH28 Sep
      • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?SGreen28 Sep
    • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Paul DuBois28 Sep
      • RE: Multiple Insert Statement?Eve Atley28 Sep
        • RE: Multiple Insert Statement?mos28 Sep
        • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Rhino28 Sep
        • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Rhino29 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesGH28 Sep
    • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep