List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:GH Date:September 28 2004 6:10pm
Subject:Re: Images
View as plain text
Ed brings up a great point... i would rather not have anyone
'searching' for images in directories and such...

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:53:01 -0700, Ed Lazor <ed.lazor@stripped> wrote:
> Ok... I have some more test results.  After optimizing as much as I can
> think of, without using caching, I've gotten things down to a 13x
> difference.  Using Apache's ab performance test, the image comes from a file
> at an average of 2ms and from the database (using PHP4) at an average of
> 28ms.
>
> I know... it just reiterates what you were already saying, but it sure is
> great to see actual numbers measuring the difference.  Maybe the difference
> could be even less if I were properly optimizing MySQL.
>
> The big question still outstanding, for me at least, is whether web page
> caching makes the performance difference a mute point.  If caching is
> storing everything as files, we get the best of both worlds.
>
> Plus, I think there may be a little bit of a security benefit.  A directory
> has to be marked as writeable so that scripts can store image files.  This
> isn't necessary when using MySQL.
>
> Do you agree with the security benefit?  Does webpage caching negate the
> performance difference?
>
> -Ed

ImagesGH28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesEric Bergen28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesJigal van Hemert28 Sep
    • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
      • Re: ImagesGH28 Sep
        • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
          • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
RE: Imagesjabbott28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesEric Bergen28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
  • Multiple Insert Statement?Eve Atley28 Sep
    • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?GH28 Sep
      • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?SGreen28 Sep
    • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Paul DuBois28 Sep
      • RE: Multiple Insert Statement?Eve Atley28 Sep
        • RE: Multiple Insert Statement?mos28 Sep
        • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Rhino28 Sep
        • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Rhino29 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesGH28 Sep
    • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep