List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Lazor Date:September 28 2004 5:53pm
Subject:RE: Images
View as plain text
Ok... I have some more test results.  After optimizing as much as I can
think of, without using caching, I've gotten things down to a 13x
difference.  Using Apache's ab performance test, the image comes from a file
at an average of 2ms and from the database (using PHP4) at an average of
28ms.

I know... it just reiterates what you were already saying, but it sure is
great to see actual numbers measuring the difference.  Maybe the difference
could be even less if I were properly optimizing MySQL.

The big question still outstanding, for me at least, is whether web page
caching makes the performance difference a mute point.  If caching is
storing everything as files, we get the best of both worlds.

Plus, I think there may be a little bit of a security benefit.  A directory
has to be marked as writeable so that scripts can store image files.  This
isn't necessary when using MySQL.

Do you agree with the security benefit?  Does webpage caching negate the
performance difference?

-Ed

Thread
ImagesGH28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesEric Bergen28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesJigal van Hemert28 Sep
    • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
      • Re: ImagesGH28 Sep
        • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
          • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
RE: Imagesjabbott28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesEric Bergen28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
  • Multiple Insert Statement?Eve Atley28 Sep
    • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?GH28 Sep
      • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?SGreen28 Sep
    • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Paul DuBois28 Sep
      • RE: Multiple Insert Statement?Eve Atley28 Sep
        • RE: Multiple Insert Statement?mos28 Sep
        • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Rhino28 Sep
        • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Rhino29 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesGH28 Sep
    • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep