List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:<jabbott Date:September 28 2004 4:32pm
Subject:RE: Images
View as plain text
I have heard also that it helps to keep the table with the blobs having a low number of
fields.  Like just a primary key and the blob field.  Have all your other metadata in a
seperate table.  Especially if you are going to be occasionally doing queries of just the
metadata and don't want to always retrieve the image.  Comments?

I am doing some blob storage in Oracle with Cold Fusion.  Using some purcha$ed java code
to get the image in and out.  Anyone else doing coldfusion with mysql blobs?  How do you
retrieve/display the images?

--ja

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Ed Lazor wrote:

> What do you mean "chunked"?
>
> I figured it would be easier to track about 32,000 images in MySQL than in
> files, so I setup a test to see what the performance difference is and if
> storing in MySQL would actually work.
>
> Everything is working and it's a lot easier to keep track of the images in
> MySQL.  I ran some performance tests using Apache's ab though and there's a
> huge performance difference - 38 times faster grabbing the file.
>
> It could be my test system here at home.  I've asked my ISP to upgrade my
> production server to PHP5 so that I can run tests from there.
>
> There could also be performance hits in the script that grabs the images
> from MySQL, because I tried using OOP.  I was told OOP would be a faster
> approach, but I'm pretty new to it and may not have done something
> correctly.  I'm going to create some non-OOP scripts to cross-reference the
> tests.
>
> I only have one production server, so I won't be able to separate / dedicate
> servers.  Your mention of chunking sounds promising though.  Actually, I'd
> appreciate any ideas or recommendations you have.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed

ImagesGH28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesEric Bergen28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesJigal van Hemert28 Sep
    • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
      • Re: ImagesGH28 Sep
        • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
          • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
RE: Imagesjabbott28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesEric Bergen28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
  • Multiple Insert Statement?Eve Atley28 Sep
    • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?GH28 Sep
      • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?SGreen28 Sep
    • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Paul DuBois28 Sep
      • RE: Multiple Insert Statement?Eve Atley28 Sep
        • RE: Multiple Insert Statement?mos28 Sep
        • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Rhino28 Sep
        • Re: Multiple Insert Statement?Rhino29 Sep
  • RE: ImagesEd Lazor28 Sep
Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep
  • Re: ImagesGH28 Sep
    • Re: ImagesDreamWerx28 Sep