List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:S. Whitmore Date:April 12 1999 10:14pm
Subject:More about my FAQ...
View as plain text
For all the reasons I have stated before, and despite the repeated
objections of some to the contrary (in particular, the "use the search
function" thread), I do not find the manual to be a uniquely-effective
reference.  In fact, every time I use it, I find myself more
frustrated than gratified, even when I do find the answer I am
seeking.  It has its purposes, but it *should not be* the only
reference.  If FAQ answers can reasonably point back to specific
sections of the manual, that's fine -- but the manual should not be
the crutch upon which the FAQ should rest.

The FAQ should answer the questions, and use the manual only as a "for
further reading, begin with..." reference.  (An indexed set of code
samples would make an excellent addition to the "for further reading"
section...  think of what CPAN has done for Perl!  Obviously that's
functional/reusable code, but it's also *instructional* code.  Real
solutions to real problems -- what better meat for the lion of coding
something new that is almost, but not quite, appropriate for pre-
existing code?)

Anyway, it's obvious that producing something that people can get
their hands on and *then* criticize will be much more useful than
arguing potential merits prior to the work being done.  Thus, I will
proceed with the interactive/ collaborative/ MySQL-based FAQ that I
have mentioned in the past, and let y'all rip into it once it's up and
running.  I had hoped to announce a rough prototype today, but instead
can only report that my weekend was busier than I expected and I made
1/4 of the progress I originally anticipated.  My schedule is "uneasy"
for the remainder of the month, so I will make any future
announcements *after* the relevant work is done.

(For those who wonder at my motive for taking on what could be a
seemingly-pointless and/or thankless project, the structure of what I
create will be quite useful for other, more personally-beneficial
projects.  So it's not an entirely altruistic endeavor, but hopefully
it may benefit the MySQL "community" nonetheless.)

-Stuart
whitmore@stripped
(Reading the list in digest mode; responses may be delayed.)

(And yes, I can personally generate more than a dozen pages of
documentation on any given day -- but no, I don't hope to be the
sole author of answers in the FAQ because I don't know enough yet!)

Thread
How to switch users.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
  • Re: Problem connecting to db in MySql from Java codeDavid Halsted15 Sep
Re: How to switch users.Fred Lindberg9 Apr
  • RE: How to switch users.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
RE: How to switch users.Fred Lindberg9 Apr
  • Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
    • RE: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Jay Miller9 Apr
      • RE: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
        • Re: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Thimble Smith9 Apr
Re: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Fred Lindberg9 Apr
  • FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)S. Whitmore10 Apr
Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Lindberg10 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Michael Widenius11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs ManualPeter F. Brown11 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs Manualjonathan michaels11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)kalle volkov11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Steve Edberg11 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs ManualPaul DuBois11 Apr
        • Re: FAQ vs ManualIsabelle Poueriet18 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualEd Carp11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs ManualPaul DuBois11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manualjonathan michaels12 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs ManualPaul DuBois12 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualEd Carp11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualEd Carp12 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs ManualIsabelle Poueriet18 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualFred Read12 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manualjonathan michaels13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Read12 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Isabelle Poueriet18 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualRichard Reina13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualFred Read13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp13 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Vivek Khera14 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Read13 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Micheal Mc Evoy13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp14 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)jonathan michaels15 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Darrell Shifflett15 Apr
Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Lindberg12 Apr
  • More about my FAQ...S. Whitmore13 Apr
    • Re: More about my FAQ...Fred Read13 Apr
    • Re: More about my FAQ...Ed Carp13 Apr
Re: FAQ vs Manualluuk13 Apr