List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:September 10 2004 7:23pm
Subject:Re: The UNION makes us strong^H^H^H^Hcrazy
View as plain text

> In a further followup to my needing to combine colummns, I have the two
> following SELECTS that each work when I do them alone
>
> select empssn,paycode_1,payrate_1 from paympe where not paycode_1 = '000'
> select empssn,paycode_2,payrate_2 from paympe where not paycode_2 = '000'
>
> However, when I do
>
> select empssn,paycode_1,payrate_1 from paympe where not paycode_1 = '000'
> union all
> select empssn,paycode_2,payrate_2 from paympe where not paycode_2 = '000'
>
> I get a syntax error
>
> According to the docs, this should work in versions past mySQL 4, and I
seem
> to be running a version rather later than that
>
> mysql  Ver 11.18 Distrib 3.23.52, for pc-linux (i686)

Isn't this MySQL version 3.23?

Try a:
select version()

> What am I doing wrong here? I have two valid SELECT statements; the field
> sizes and types are the same (indeed, empssn is the same field).  This
> SHOULD provide me with what I'm looking for, but...

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
The UNION makes us strong^H^H^H^HcrazyDWeingart10 Sep
  • Re: The UNION makes us strong^H^H^H^HcrazyMartijn Tonies10 Sep
  • Re: The UNION makes us strong^H^H^H^HcrazyAndy Bakun10 Sep
    • RE: The UNION makes us strong^H^H^H^HcrazyDonny Simonton10 Sep
RE: The UNION makes us strong^H^H^H^HcrazyDWeingart10 Sep