List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:JVanV8 Date:September 9 2004 6:26pm
Subject:Re: Query very slow - Using temporary; Using filesort
View as plain text
Thanks Shawn, I'm going to give the temporary table idea a try.

I did omit the 'category' table while testing but when I used EXPLAIN the # of rows for
the thread_link join increased from 105 to 16326 so I decided to leave the category table
in.  But I agree, it isn't needed.

My other idea I had was to store the number of 'thread_posts' for a thread inside the
thread table itself.  Obviously this wouldn't be normalized and would have to be
maintained or updated frequently to be accurate...  It might be a last resort if the temp
table doesn't work out.
... But I like to play by normalization rules as much as possible.

Thanks again, I'll post any performance improvements.
- John
Thread
Query very slow - Using temporary; Using filesortJVanV89 Sep
  • Re: Query very slow - Using temporary; Using filesortSGreen9 Sep
Re: Query very slow - Using temporary; Using filesortJVanV89 Sep
Re: Query very slow - Using temporary; Using filesortJVanV810 Sep