List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:September 9 2004 6:12pm
Subject:Re: when to use backquote in SQL
View as plain text
Single and double quotes are usually string identifiers (double quoted
strings can sometimes also refer to database objects) Backticks
(backquotes) always refer to database objects (columns, tables, indexes,
databases, etc.). Here is the page in the manual that explains it all.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Legal_names.html

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

"leegold" <leegold@stripped> wrote on 09/09/2004 02:00:32 PM:

> Could anyone link me or explain the purposes of backquotes in an SQL
> statement. I tried searching the manual and googling it but couldn't
> find a simple explaination. ``` vs. "regular" single quotes'''.
> Thanks, Lee G.

fulltext usage for specific keywordsleegold7 Sep
  • Re: fulltext usage for specific keywordsThomas Spahni7 Sep
  • Re: fulltext usage for specific keywordsSGreen7 Sep
    • when to use backquote in SQLleegold9 Sep
      • Re: when to use backquote in SQLDan Nelson9 Sep
        • Re: when to use backquote in SQLFagyal Csongor9 Sep
          • Re: when to use backquote in SQLDan Nelson9 Sep
      • Re: when to use backquote in SQLSGreen9 Sep
    • Re: when to use backquote in SQLJim Grill9 Sep