List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fagyal Csongor Date:September 9 2004 6:10pm
Subject:Re: when to use backquote in SQL
View as plain text
Dan Nelson wrote:

>In the last episode (Sep 09), leegold said:
>

>>Could anyone link me or explain the purposes of backquotes in an SQL
>>statement. I tried searching the manual and googling it but couldn't
>>find a simple explaination. ``` vs. "regular" single quotes'''.
>>Thanks, Lee G.
>>

>Backquotes are used to delimit table or field names; they aren't used
>to delimit SQL strings the way ' or " are.  You'll almost never need to
>use them unless you have spaces or other strange characters in your
>table/field names.

...or when you chose a reserved MySQL keyword as a column name  - for
example.

...which might happen automatically when you upgrade to a new version of
MySQL :-)) Your column name suddenly becoming a keyword is a _lot_ fun
;-), so 'don't forget your backticks'.

- Cs.

Thread
fulltext usage for specific keywordsleegold7 Sep
  • Re: fulltext usage for specific keywordsThomas Spahni7 Sep
  • Re: fulltext usage for specific keywordsSGreen7 Sep
    • when to use backquote in SQLleegold9 Sep
      • Re: when to use backquote in SQLDan Nelson9 Sep
        • Re: when to use backquote in SQLFagyal Csongor9 Sep
          • Re: when to use backquote in SQLDan Nelson9 Sep
      • Re: when to use backquote in SQLSGreen9 Sep
    • Re: when to use backquote in SQLJim Grill9 Sep