List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:September 8 2004 1:10pm
Subject:Re: In search of a good MySQL GUI client
View as plain text
Hello Jose,

>     Why are all MySQL GUI clients so bad with foreign keys? Sorry to seem
> annoyed, but I have used for quite some time a few GUI clients, notably
> MySQL-Front, which I were relatively confortable with. Anyway, all GUI
> clients I used (SQLyog, MySql-Front, MySQL-CC, you name it) seemed to be
> some sort of shortcut to the MySQL command line. No problem with that,
> that's what I am looking for and not some high-level CASE tool.
>
>     It's when looking for foreign keys and referential integrity where
these
> tools fail miserably. None of them fully supports editing / creating /
> deleting foreign keys. If you are to reply to this message, please read
> again the "FULLY supports" statement. For example, with version 1.0.7-beta
> of MySQL Query Browser (Own MySQL AB tool) I'm unable to add an "ON
UPDATE"
> constraint... silly, huh? This is not a strange "Fails when lib-foo
> v1.2.3.5.7 connects throu a CISCO 90238234 router in a full moon night"
> error, it's simply that the programmer (nor the bug-testing labs) have not
> tried the "On Update:" drop-down menu from the edit table dialog.
>
>     I know foreign keys are a relatively new area in the MySQL field and
> maybe the programmers are slowly adding support for it, but it's quite
> annoying to see monumental bugs editing and changing foreign keys in ALL
> programs I've tried.
>
>     Please, note that this message is not intended to flame anyone. I
fully
> aknowledge the effort involved creating such a tool, I'm a programmer
after
> all, and some of them are in beta anyway. I would appreciate if anyone
knows
> some tool which good foreign key support.

Well, you still need to manually create indices - but the FKs
work just fine in ... Database Workbench - www.upscene.com

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236matt ryan2 Sep
  • Re: Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236gerald_clark2 Sep
    • Re: Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236matt ryan2 Sep
      • Re: Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236matt ryan7 Sep
        • Re: Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236Tobias Asplund7 Sep
          • Re: Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236matt ryan7 Sep
            • Re: Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236Remigiusz Sokołowski8 Sep
              • Re: Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236matt ryan8 Sep
  • In search of a good MySQL GUI clientJose Miguel Pérez8 Sep
    • Re: In search of a good MySQL GUI clientKaram Chand9 Sep
      • Re: In search of a good MySQL GUI clientJose Miguel Pérez9 Sep
        • Re: In search of a good MySQL GUI clientKaram Chand9 Sep
          • Re: In search of a good MySQL GUI clientJose Miguel Pérez9 Sep
  • Re: In search of a good MySQL GUI clientMartijn Tonies8 Sep