List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jose Miguel Pérez Date:September 8 2004 1:02pm
Subject:In search of a good MySQL GUI client
View as plain text
Hi All!

    Why are all MySQL GUI clients so bad with foreign keys? Sorry to seem
annoyed, but I have used for quite some time a few GUI clients, notably
MySQL-Front, which I were relatively confortable with. Anyway, all GUI
clients I used (SQLyog, MySql-Front, MySQL-CC, you name it) seemed to be
some sort of shortcut to the MySQL command line. No problem with that,
that's what I am looking for and not some high-level CASE tool.

    It's when looking for foreign keys and referential integrity where these
tools fail miserably. None of them fully supports editing / creating /
deleting foreign keys. If you are to reply to this message, please read
again the "FULLY supports" statement. For example, with version 1.0.7-beta
of MySQL Query Browser (Own MySQL AB tool) I'm unable to add an "ON UPDATE"
constraint... silly, huh? This is not a strange "Fails when lib-foo
v1.2.3.5.7 connects throu a CISCO 90238234 router in a full moon night"
error, it's simply that the programmer (nor the bug-testing labs) have not
tried the "On Update:" drop-down menu from the edit table dialog.

    I know foreign keys are a relatively new area in the MySQL field and
maybe the programmers are slowly adding support for it, but it's quite
annoying to see monumental bugs editing and changing foreign keys in ALL
programs I've tried.

    Please, note that this message is not intended to flame anyone. I fully
aknowledge the effort involved creating such a tool, I'm a programmer after
all, and some of them are in beta anyway. I would appreciate if anyone knows
some tool which good foreign key support.

    Cheers,
    Jose Miguel.

Thread
Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236matt ryan2 Sep
  • Re: Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236gerald_clark2 Sep
    • Re: Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236matt ryan2 Sep
      • Re: Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236matt ryan7 Sep
        • Re: Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236Tobias Asplund7 Sep
          • Re: Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236matt ryan7 Sep
            • Re: Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236Remigiusz Sokołowski8 Sep
              • Re: Slave I/O thread dies, fatal error 1236matt ryan8 Sep
  • In search of a good MySQL GUI clientJose Miguel Pérez8 Sep
    • Re: In search of a good MySQL GUI clientKaram Chand9 Sep
      • Re: In search of a good MySQL GUI clientJose Miguel Pérez9 Sep
        • Re: In search of a good MySQL GUI clientKaram Chand9 Sep
          • Re: In search of a good MySQL GUI clientJose Miguel Pérez9 Sep
  • Re: In search of a good MySQL GUI clientMartijn Tonies8 Sep