List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:September 7 2004 2:48pm
Subject:Re: fulltext usage for specific keywords
View as plain text
If all your new "keyword" field will be contain is data that already
exists in its native form in some other field then, IMHO,  your are
"overdesigning" your project. A FT index can index your original field
just as well as it could index your  "extracted" field.

Unless you are adding new values to your "keywords" field (like synonyms
or common misspellings) that don't exist in your origninal data, I think
you should lose the second field from your design and just FT index your
original data.  If you do add the additional data to your record, you
should FT index both columns (the "original" data column  and the new
"keywords" column) with the same index.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

"leegold" <leegold@stripped> wrote on 09/07/2004 10:07:22 AM:

> I asked a ques, in a previous post but maybe I should simplify the
> question. Am I totallly crazy to use FullText for specific keyword
> searchs? Let's say I have a text data type field and I load it with
> keywords (text after all), the couldn't I just use a Fulltext index on
> that field then search for specific keywords? I'd have the boolean mode
> with a minimum of coding.
>
> If not, well, I haven't found tutorials that lay it out how to code for
> "and, or, phrase, not" searches without Fulltext. I assume it'd be some
> more SQL to do that. I'm not too handy with set theory at the moment -
> it seems the fulltext pust me on the road to having a nice keyword
> search w/bells and whistles w/min. of hassel even though I'm not using
> it for it's heralded intended purpose.
>
> Thanks,
> Lee G.
> Wash DC

fulltext usage for specific keywordsleegold7 Sep
  • Re: fulltext usage for specific keywordsThomas Spahni7 Sep
  • Re: fulltext usage for specific keywordsSGreen7 Sep
    • when to use backquote in SQLleegold9 Sep
      • Re: when to use backquote in SQLDan Nelson9 Sep
        • Re: when to use backquote in SQLFagyal Csongor9 Sep
          • Re: when to use backquote in SQLDan Nelson9 Sep
      • Re: when to use backquote in SQLSGreen9 Sep
    • Re: when to use backquote in SQLJim Grill9 Sep