List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:September 3 2004 12:37pm
Subject:Re: Fetch-on-demand
View as plain text
Hi,

> > Does MySQL support fetch-on-demand of resultsets?
> >
> > And if so, does it support multiple cursors fetching on the same time
> > using the same connection?
> >
> > If so, is it thread safe?
>
> What do you mean "fetch-on-demand"? I've never heard this term before.
Since
> every fetch takes place when your program calls for it, isn't every fetch
> already "fetch-on-demand"?

There are two ways to fetch a resultset -

1) fetch the entire resultset, close the handle (or whatever) and
cache the resultset locally so you can do your stuff.

2) keep the resultset open and fetch rows on a need-to-handle
basis. Sometimes also called a "server side cursor". Usually
forward only.

From my understanding, I believe MySQL can do (2), but my
question was if it can do (2) for multiple cursors at the same time,
or having a cursor open and execute other statements, on the
same connection.

And if so, if this is multi-thread-safe on a connection/network
level.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
Fetch-on-demandMartijn Tonies3 Sep
  • Re: Fetch-on-demandRhino3 Sep
  • Re: Fetch-on-demandMartijn Tonies3 Sep
RE: Fetch-on-demandSST - Adelaide)3 Sep