List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jochem van Dieten Date:August 31 2004 11:10pm
Subject:Re: Is their still any reason why Stored Procedure calls are not supported in MySql?
View as plain text
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:47:57 -0400, Jacob, Raymond A Jr wrote:

> http://software.tangent.org/download/myperl-0.8.tar.gz at http://tangent.org.
> Looking at the readme file myperl is mysql userdefined function that executes
> perl code contained in a table in the select statement. The command line
> version of mysql also has the ability to start an editor. Theoretically,
> one could:
> 1.  create a table:
>  Create table user.sparky.functions
> ( name TEXT NOT NULL , code TEXT NOT NULL );
> 2. \e myfunc.mypl
> 3.  LOAD DATA IN FILE myfunc.mypl
>  INTO TABLE user.sparky.functions;
> 4. /* assume no errors */
> Select myfunc(code, colum_data)
> from user.sparky.functions, data_table
> where  (code = myperl_code ) and
>     ( column_data = "what I am looking for" );
>
> If and I stress if my assumptions are valid

So far they are.

> then stored procedure calls could be
> written in any interpreted language with an interpreter that can be linked into
> mysql.

No. None of this allows Stored Procedures to call back to MySQL and
update some data in a totally different table in the same transaction.
They are still only functions that can only work with what is passed
to them, they can not reach out and get additional input from
elsewhere in the database.

MySQL 5 has the foundations for a stored procedure implementation, but
it will be a while. If you need stored procedures now, you need a
different database.

Jochem
Thread
Is their still any reason why Stored Procedure calls are not supported in MySql?Raymond A Jr Jacob1 Sep
  • Re: Is their still any reason why Stored Procedure calls are notsupported in MySql?V. M. Brasseur1 Sep
  • Re: Is their still any reason why Stored Procedure calls are not supported in MySql?Jochem van Dieten1 Sep
  • Re: Is their still any reason why Stored Procedure calls are not supported in MySql?Martijn Tonies1 Sep
  • Re: Is their still any reason why Stored Procedure calls are not supported in MySql?Martijn Tonies1 Sep
RE: Is their still any reason why Stored Procedure calls are not supported in MySql?Raymond A Jr Jacob1 Sep