List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Stassen Date:August 26 2004 5:16am
Subject:Re: Can append word into varchar column in Update statement?
View as plain text
Monet wants to append something to the current value, so I think CONCAT() is
needed:

   UPDATE temp
   SET ReviewComments = CONCAT(ReviewComments, ', WHC')
   WHERE ... ;

Michael

SGreen@stripped wrote:

> Yes, UPDATE ... SET... is exactly what you would use. Just set the column
> to be the combined value of the two values.
> Please read: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/UPDATE.html
>
> UPDATE tablename
> SET fieldname = 'new list of values that you wanted'
> WHERE _where_conditions_
>
> Shawn Green
> Database Administrator
> Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
>

> Monet <monet_lee@stripped> wrote on 08/24/2004 07:49:37 PM:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I though it is impossible to do that but I like check
>>with you guys in case it is just because I never heard
>>it.
>>I have a table with a text column. Is there any way I
>>can append some word into this field when I update the
>>table?
>>For instance,
>>Table temp, column ReviewComments, data type of
>>ReviewComments is varchar.
>>Value in  “ReviewComments” is “PSRC”.
>>After update, value in “ReviewComments” should be
>>“PSRC, WHC”
>>
>>Can I do that by using UPDATE … SET ….
>>
>>Thanks a lot.
>>
>>Monet

Thread
Can append word into varchar column in Update statement?Monet25 Aug
  • Re: Can append word into varchar column in Update statement?SGreen25 Aug
    • Re: Can append word into varchar column in Update statement?Michael Stassen26 Aug