List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Stuart Felenstein Date:August 24 2004 5:18pm
Subject:Re: Debating over table types
View as plain text
Right, I have set up some tables with text columns that will need full text searching, In
those cases I chose myisam.
Is there any danger in changing table types on the fly ? Not including the loss of any
foreign keys that may have been set up (innodb to myisam). I'm wondering more about data
corruption ?

Stuart

Joe Audette <joe_audette@stripped> wrote:
InnoDb doesn't support full text indexes on text columns so if you need to search text
fields you may want ot use MyISAM. It is perfectly ok to have a mixture of InnoDB and
MyISAM in a single database so you can make your decision on a table by table basis.

Joe

Stuart Felenstein wrote:
I know the major differences between Innodb and MyIsam.
-table locking versus row locks
-foreign key support

I know there are more but those are the ones that stick out in mind.
I think Innodb requires a bit more storage space but I could be wrong.
In some cases foreign key support would be a nice thing. So my questions are:
What is the ultimate criteria for choosing Innodb. And, if I just want it because I like
to have the luxary of foreign key / cascading etc, is that reason enough to use them.

Stuart

joe_audette@stripped
http://www.joeaudette.com
http://www.earworkout.com
Thread
Debating over table typesStuart Felenstein24 Aug
  • Re: Debating over table typesJoe Audette24 Aug
    • Re: Debating over table typesStuart Felenstein24 Aug
      • Re: Debating over table typesDan Nelson24 Aug
  • Re: Debating over table typesMartijn Tonies24 Aug