List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joe Audette Date:August 24 2004 4:29pm
Subject:Re: Debating over table types
View as plain text
InnoDb doesn't support full text indexes on text columns so if you need to search text
fields you may want ot use MyISAM. It is perfectly ok to have a mixture of InnoDB and
MyISAM in a single database so you can make your decision on a table by table basis.

Joe

Stuart Felenstein <stuart4m@stripped> wrote:
I know the major differences between Innodb and MyIsam.
-table locking versus row locks
-foreign key support

I know there are more but those are the ones that stick out in mind.
I think Innodb requires a bit more storage space but I could be wrong.
In some cases foreign key support would be a nice thing. So my questions are:
What is the ultimate criteria for choosing Innodb. And, if I just want it because I like
to have the luxary of foreign key / cascading etc, is that reason enough to use them.

Stuart

joe_audette@stripped
http://www.joeaudette.com
http://www.earworkout.com
Thread
Debating over table typesStuart Felenstein24 Aug
  • Re: Debating over table typesJoe Audette24 Aug
    • Re: Debating over table typesStuart Felenstein24 Aug
      • Re: Debating over table typesDan Nelson24 Aug
  • Re: Debating over table typesMartijn Tonies24 Aug