List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Stassen Date:August 17 2004 6:11pm
Subject:Re: Assistance with SQL syntax: pulling duplicates back
View as plain text
You are joining two tables, resume and candidate.  Without a join condition,
you get a Cartesian product, each row of the first table paired with each
and every row of the second table.  (Some on this list would go so far as to
say that's not even a join.)  You need to specify how rows in resume should
be lined up with rows in candidate.  You are filtering the resulting rows
with your WHERE conditions, but that's not the same thing.

I would expect that you have a relationship between resumes and candidates.
  One of them should have a column which holds a key with the ID value in
the other.  In the first case, you would add something like

   resume.candidate_id = candidate.id

to your WHERE clause, and in the second case you would add something like

   candidate.resume_id = resume.id

to your WHERE clause.  I'd expect one candidate per resume, but possibly
more than one resume per candidate, so I'd expect the first case.

Michael

Eve Atley wrote:

> I think this is an easy question...I've set up a SQL statement like so:
>
> SELECT resume.Section_Value, candidate.Location FROM resume, candidate WHERE
> resume.Section_ID = '1' AND MATCH (resume.Section_Value) AGAINST ('html')
> AND candidate.Location LIKE '%CA%' OR 'California'
>
> ------------------
> And where 'html' should come up in 1 entry, I get duplicates when printing
> out the field to the screen:
>
> ------------------
> html unix network php Over 10 years of HTML experience. 2 years networking
> administration.
>
> html unix network php Over 10 years of HTML experience. 2 years networking
> administration.
>
> ------------------
>
> I can't decide if this is my code, or the SQL syntax. Would it be possible,
> based on this statement, to have pulled back duplicates from the same
> record?
>

> - Eve

Thread
GUI for MySQLKirti S. Bajwa12 Aug
  • AW: GUI for MySQLFreddie Sorensen12 Aug
  • Re: GUI for MySQLKaram Chand13 Aug
  • Re: GUI for MySQLMartijn Tonies13 Aug
    • Full text for keyword(s) search?Eve Atley17 Aug
RE: GUI for MySQLGuillermo Chinchilla Zúñiga12 Aug
RE: Full text for keyword(s) search?Victor Pendleton17 Aug
  • Assistance with SQL syntax: pulling duplicates backEve Atley17 Aug
    • Re: Assistance with SQL syntax: pulling duplicates backMichael Stassen17 Aug
      • Re: Assistance with SQL syntax: pulling duplicates backMichael Stassen17 Aug
    • Re: Assistance with SQL syntax: pulling duplicates backSGreen17 Aug
RE: Assistance with SQL syntax: pulling duplicates backVictor Pendleton17 Aug
Re: Assistance with SQL syntax: pulling duplicates backMichael Stassen17 Aug