List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rich Lafferty Date:August 11 2004 5:00pm
Subject:Re: On the licensing once again
View as plain text
On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 05:43:16PM +0200, Leonardo Francalanci
<lfrancalanci@stripped> wrote:
> > If you develop a product, say, some kind of online shopping
> > system that you
> > distribute on a CD which installs Linux, Apache, MysQL, PHP and
> > your App and
> > distribute that, then you probably should be paying for a license. This is
> > because instead of you handing over full code (and it's rights) to the
> > client as their property, you are placing licensing limitations on it.
>
> Ok, but if I say to a client (that has his own web server) "you will
> need to install Mysql on your server to run the site I'm writing for
> you", will he
> need a license?

Look at it this way: No matter what, *everyone* using MySQL requires
a license. Here's the question you need to ask:

  Which of the two possible licenses can I use without contravening
  the terms?

Obviously, you'd rather not pay, so you want to look at the GPL first.
To do that, you and/or your company's lawyer need to read the terms of
the GPL and apply them to the way you wish to use the software. If
you reach a term which you are unable to comply with, then you can't
use the GPL, and need a commercial license.

But you're entering into a legal agreement with MySQL AB, so you need
to read every term in the license and determine, with legal assistance
if you need it, whether or not you can do what you want to do under
the license's terms. The mailing list is probably a bad place to turn
for legal advice (which, incidentally, I am not giving you right now
:-).

  -Rich

--
Rich Lafferty --------------+-----------------------------------------------
 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada    |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!
 http://www.lafferty.ca/    |    http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus.html
rich@stripped -----------+-----------------------------------------------
Thread
Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLBrad Tilley10 Aug
    • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJosh Trutwin10 Aug
      • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten10 Aug
        • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJosh Trutwin11 Aug
          • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten11 Aug
            • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryJosh Trutwin11 Aug
              • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryJochem van Dieten11 Aug
                • MySQL Data Dictionary (INFORMATION_SCHEMA)Jim Winstead11 Aug
                  • Re: MySQL Data Dictionary (INFORMATION_SCHEMA)Jochem van Dieten11 Aug
                  • Re: MySQL Data Dictionary (INFORMATION_SCHEMA)Josh Trutwin11 Aug
          • Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32leegold11 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLSGreen10 Aug
    • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLMartijn Tonies10 Aug
    • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten10 Aug
      • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJosh Trutwin11 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLMartijn Tonies10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLmos11 Aug
    • RE: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
      • On the licensing once againDebugasRu11 Aug
        • Re: On the licensing once againZak Greant11 Aug
        • RE: On the licensing once againLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
          • R: On the licensing once againLeonardo Francalanci11 Aug
            • Re: R: On the licensing once againDebugasRu11 Aug
              • RE: R: On the licensing once againLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
          • Re: On the licensing once againIssac Goldstand12 Aug
            • Re: On the licensing once againZak Greant12 Aug
  • Converting access to mysql dbEWAGW11 Aug
  • Re: Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32Cemal Dalar11 Aug
    • Re: Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32leegold11 Aug
  • Re: Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32Cemal Dalar11 Aug
  • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryPeter  Brawley11 Aug
    • RE: Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team11 Aug
      • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryEamon Daly11 Aug
        • RE: Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team12 Aug
          • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryEgor Egorov12 Aug
            • RE: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team12 Aug
Re: On the licensing once againZak Greant11 Aug
Re: On the licensing once againLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
  • R: On the licensing once againLeonardo Francalanci11 Aug
    • Re: R: On the licensing once againSantino11 Aug
      • Re: R: On the licensing once againZak Greant12 Aug
    • Re: R: On the licensing once againZak Greant12 Aug
Re: On the licensing once againLeonardo Francalanci11 Aug
  • Re: On the licensing once againRich Lafferty11 Aug
Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team12 Aug