List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Josh Trutwin Date:August 11 2004 3:00pm
Subject:Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQL
View as plain text
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:34:49 +0200
Jochem van Dieten <jochemd@stripped> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:00:12 -0500, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> >
> > One area where MySQL beat Postgres is in Windows installation.
> > Installing postgres on Windohs is like pulling your fingernails
> > off slowly.
>
> It is more like following the manual. Not hard, you just have to
> take it one step at a time.

I should point out that I haven't used the compile-from-source method that's in the
documentation, which like you said looks pretty simple.  I can get postgres running in a
cygwin env pretty easilly, but getting it to automatically start/stop as a service is
usually the painful part.  I've used this as a bonus exercise for students in a dbms
course I teach and their conclusion is the same.

I think this complaint will fall away soon though with PG 8.x.  FWIW, PG on *nix is just
the opposite, very clean and simple install.

> > MySQL's command line interface and programming API also are nicer
> > for newer users.  Why in the world do I need to remember to type
> > "\d" to show my tables?
>
> Why in the world do I need to remember SHOW TABLES? Why can't the
> standard information schema work?
> :-)

Ah, because SHOW TABLES and "exit" or "quit" makes sense and is easy to remember vs. \d \q
\whatever.  I like the \d because once you know it it's dang quick to type, but it's nice
to have the longer format as well.  Whatever, to each their own...

> Command line interface and programming API are pretty much
> irrelevant if you are using ColdFusion. It is all abstracted out
> behind a JDBC API (ColdFusion is still at JDC 2), which in turn is
> behind ColdFusion's API, so unless you go the way of the Java ninja
> you can't even reach it.

Ok.  Command line interface and programming API are never truely irrelevent IMHO.  :)

I said it before, I like em both, use em both and have rubs with both of em.  Is one
"better" than the other?  Yes and No.

Thanks,

Josh

Thread
Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLBrad Tilley10 Aug
    • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJosh Trutwin10 Aug
      • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten10 Aug
        • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJosh Trutwin11 Aug
          • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten11 Aug
            • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryJosh Trutwin11 Aug
              • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryJochem van Dieten11 Aug
                • MySQL Data Dictionary (INFORMATION_SCHEMA)Jim Winstead11 Aug
                  • Re: MySQL Data Dictionary (INFORMATION_SCHEMA)Jochem van Dieten11 Aug
                  • Re: MySQL Data Dictionary (INFORMATION_SCHEMA)Josh Trutwin11 Aug
          • Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32leegold11 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLSGreen10 Aug
    • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLMartijn Tonies10 Aug
    • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten10 Aug
      • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJosh Trutwin11 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLMartijn Tonies10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLmos11 Aug
    • RE: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
      • On the licensing once againDebugasRu11 Aug
        • Re: On the licensing once againZak Greant11 Aug
        • RE: On the licensing once againLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
          • R: On the licensing once againLeonardo Francalanci11 Aug
            • Re: R: On the licensing once againDebugasRu11 Aug
              • RE: R: On the licensing once againLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
          • Re: On the licensing once againIssac Goldstand12 Aug
            • Re: On the licensing once againZak Greant12 Aug
  • Converting access to mysql dbEWAGW11 Aug
  • Re: Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32Cemal Dalar11 Aug
    • Re: Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32leegold11 Aug
  • Re: Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32Cemal Dalar11 Aug
  • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryPeter  Brawley11 Aug
    • RE: Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team11 Aug
      • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryEamon Daly11 Aug
        • RE: Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team12 Aug
          • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryEgor Egorov12 Aug
            • RE: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team12 Aug
Re: On the licensing once againZak Greant11 Aug
Re: On the licensing once againLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
  • R: On the licensing once againLeonardo Francalanci11 Aug
    • Re: R: On the licensing once againSantino11 Aug
      • Re: R: On the licensing once againZak Greant12 Aug
    • Re: R: On the licensing once againZak Greant12 Aug
Re: On the licensing once againLeonardo Francalanci11 Aug
  • Re: On the licensing once againRich Lafferty11 Aug
Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team12 Aug