List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lachlan Mulcahy Date:August 11 2004 12:04pm
Subject:Re: On the licensing once again
View as plain text
If someone pays you to develop a website for them based on MySQL, you won't
pay for it. As you are not selling a product that contains MySQL. You are
selling your service and handing over full code to the client as their
property. There is no licensing involved in this case.

If you develop a product, say, some kind of online shopping system that you
distribute on a CD which installs Linux, Apache, MysQL, PHP and your App and
distribute that, then you probably should be paying for a license. This is
because instead of you handing over full code (and it's rights) to the
client as their property, you are placing licensing limitations on it.

Some people "get around" licensing by developing systems and leasing them
out to their clients. I think this is a bit of a grey area and I'm not sure
how legal or ethical this practise is, in my opinion this case should
probably be paying licensing.

Does that clarify at all?

If you have specific questions you can contact MySQL themselves using the
online form:
http://www.mysql.com/company/contact/?topic=licensing

cheers
Lachlan