List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Zak Greant Date:August 11 2004 8:13am
Subject:Re: On the licensing once again
View as plain text
On Aug 11, 2004, at 1:21, DebugasRu wrote:
> 1)
> LM> If your software is licensed under either the GPL-compatible Free
> Software
> LM> License as defined by the Free Software Foundation or approved by
> OSI, then
> LM> use our GPL licensed version.
>
> 2)
> LM> If you distribute a proprietary application in any way, and you
> are not
> LM> licensing and distributing your source code under GPL, you need to
> purchase
> LM> a commercial license of MySQL
>
> To be honest i don't understand the double licensing issues at all.
> Does the second part 2) applies to the developer of proprietary
> software
> only or does it apply to its users too ?

Hi!

The second part only applies to the distributed copies of MySQL.

Each distributed copy of MySQL needs to have a valid license. This can
be the GPL, or if the distributor cannot comply with the GPL, then they
should have one proprietary license for every copy of the software that
they ship.

To make our money on licensing and to keep things simple, we always
recommend that proprietary use of MySQL be done under a proprietary
license. This is not required in all cases though.

> Why a user cannot install and use MySql under GPL and then install and
> use proprietary software under whatever licence he got it.

A user can do this. However, if a developer of proprietary software
that is based on MySQL distributes that software, then they need to
make sure that the distributed copies have valid non-GPL licenses.

> Or do you want to say that the end user can in general use MySQL under
> GPL, but as soon as he tries to use it with that particular
> proprietary software then he can no longer use MySQL under GPL ?
> This seems to contradict the GPL license terms

Users are free to use MySQL under the terms of the GPL as long as they
comply with the terms of the license. They can even use GPL licensed
MySQL and proprietarily licensed versions of MySQL at the same time.

Cheers!
--
Zak Greant
MySQL AB Community Advocate

Thread
Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLBrad Tilley10 Aug
    • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJosh Trutwin10 Aug
      • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten10 Aug
        • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJosh Trutwin11 Aug
          • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten11 Aug
            • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryJosh Trutwin11 Aug
              • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryJochem van Dieten11 Aug
                • MySQL Data Dictionary (INFORMATION_SCHEMA)Jim Winstead11 Aug
                  • Re: MySQL Data Dictionary (INFORMATION_SCHEMA)Jochem van Dieten11 Aug
                  • Re: MySQL Data Dictionary (INFORMATION_SCHEMA)Josh Trutwin11 Aug
          • Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32leegold11 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLSGreen10 Aug
    • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLMartijn Tonies10 Aug
    • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten10 Aug
      • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJosh Trutwin11 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLMartijn Tonies10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLmos11 Aug
    • RE: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
      • On the licensing once againDebugasRu11 Aug
        • Re: On the licensing once againZak Greant11 Aug
        • RE: On the licensing once againLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
          • R: On the licensing once againLeonardo Francalanci11 Aug
            • Re: R: On the licensing once againDebugasRu11 Aug
              • RE: R: On the licensing once againLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
          • Re: On the licensing once againIssac Goldstand12 Aug
            • Re: On the licensing once againZak Greant12 Aug
  • Converting access to mysql dbEWAGW11 Aug
  • Re: Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32Cemal Dalar11 Aug
    • Re: Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32leegold11 Aug
  • Re: Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32Cemal Dalar11 Aug
  • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryPeter  Brawley11 Aug
    • RE: Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team11 Aug
      • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryEamon Daly11 Aug
        • RE: Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team12 Aug
          • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryEgor Egorov12 Aug
            • RE: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team12 Aug
Re: On the licensing once againZak Greant11 Aug
Re: On the licensing once againLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
  • R: On the licensing once againLeonardo Francalanci11 Aug
    • Re: R: On the licensing once againSantino11 Aug
      • Re: R: On the licensing once againZak Greant12 Aug
    • Re: R: On the licensing once againZak Greant12 Aug
Re: On the licensing once againLeonardo Francalanci11 Aug
  • Re: On the licensing once againRich Lafferty11 Aug
Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team12 Aug