List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lachlan Mulcahy Date:August 11 2004 1:51am
Subject:RE: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQL
View as plain text
Just in addition,

The current pricing on the MySQL site is 440EUR for the Pro License and
220EUR for the Classic License. The difference is that classic excludes the
InnoDB storage engine.

People may argue over the strict legal line where licenses are required to
be purchased, especially when the boundaries of precisely what it is you may
be selling begin to blur, but the spirit of the licensing is that for each
server you implement in any kind of proprietary application you pay the
appropriate licensing fee.

Quote from the site:

In their simplest form, the following are general licensing guidelines:

If your software is licensed under either the GPL-compatible Free Software
License as defined by the Free Software Foundation or approved by OSI, then
use our GPL licensed version.

If you distribute a proprietary application in any way, and you are not
licensing and distributing your source code under GPL, you need to purchase
a commercial license of MySQL

If you are unsure, we recommend that you buy our cost effective commercial
licenses. That is the safest solution. Licensing questions can submitted
online for our advice, and we encourage you to refer to the Free Software
Foundation or a lawyer as appropriate.

Lachlan