List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SGreen Date:August 10 2004 8:49pm
Subject:Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQL
View as plain text
Well, since you admitted to being a newbie, I would suggest that you learn
with MySQL. It supports several types of data storage (memory only, ISAM,
full-relational) and both transacted and non-transacted execution models.
That's just about everything you could want a database to do. Development
is nearing completion on Stored Procedures which means that Triggers are
not far away. Those last two elements really round out the already
impressive features built into MySQL.

Sometime, in the far distant future, if you find that MySQL is somehow
unable to meet your development needs then I encourage you to find a
product that can do what you need.  However, I have found very few
situations that MySQL was not up to the job.

The only other thing to consider is whether Cold Fusion has integrated its
development environment better with one or the other. I don't use it (CF)
or I could comment on whether it's easier to use one DB over the other.

my two cents....

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

"EWAGW" <egoodson@stripped> wrote on 08/10/2004 04:35:20 PM:

> Hi all, mr.super newbie here, what is the best for cold fusion
development?
> I know that NASA uses MySQL but I have also been told that more
> 'professionals'(???) use PostgreSQL. Let the flaming begin!!

Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLBrad Tilley10 Aug
    • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJosh Trutwin10 Aug
      • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten10 Aug
        • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJosh Trutwin11 Aug
          • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten11 Aug
            • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryJosh Trutwin11 Aug
              • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryJochem van Dieten11 Aug
                • MySQL Data Dictionary (INFORMATION_SCHEMA)Jim Winstead11 Aug
                  • Re: MySQL Data Dictionary (INFORMATION_SCHEMA)Jochem van Dieten11 Aug
                  • Re: MySQL Data Dictionary (INFORMATION_SCHEMA)Josh Trutwin11 Aug
          • Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32leegold11 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLSGreen10 Aug
    • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLMartijn Tonies10 Aug
    • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJochem van Dieten10 Aug
      • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLJosh Trutwin11 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLMartijn Tonies10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLEWAGW10 Aug
  • Re: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLmos11 Aug
    • RE: Difference between PostgreSQL and MySQLLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
      • On the licensing once againDebugasRu11 Aug
        • Re: On the licensing once againZak Greant11 Aug
        • RE: On the licensing once againLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
          • R: On the licensing once againLeonardo Francalanci11 Aug
            • Re: R: On the licensing once againDebugasRu11 Aug
              • RE: R: On the licensing once againLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
          • Re: On the licensing once againIssac Goldstand12 Aug
            • Re: On the licensing once againZak Greant12 Aug
  • Converting access to mysql dbEWAGW11 Aug
  • Re: Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32Cemal Dalar11 Aug
    • Re: Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32leegold11 Aug
  • Re: Changing Fulltext defaults in Win32Cemal Dalar11 Aug
  • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryPeter  Brawley11 Aug
    • RE: Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team11 Aug
      • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryEamon Daly11 Aug
        • RE: Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team12 Aug
          • Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionaryEgor Egorov12 Aug
            • RE: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team12 Aug
Re: On the licensing once againZak Greant11 Aug
Re: On the licensing once againLachlan Mulcahy11 Aug
  • R: On the licensing once againLeonardo Francalanci11 Aug
    • Re: R: On the licensing once againSantino11 Aug
      • Re: R: On the licensing once againZak Greant12 Aug
    • Re: R: On the licensing once againZak Greant12 Aug
Re: On the licensing once againLeonardo Francalanci11 Aug
  • Re: On the licensing once againRich Lafferty11 Aug
Re: [OT] PostgreSQL / MySQL Data DictionarySciBit MySQL Team12 Aug