List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Egor Egorov Date:August 10 2004 10:29am
Subject:Re: What would you store in a BLOB field?
View as plain text
"Levi Campbell" <levicc00123@stripped> wrote:

> I know the blob field is binary but what would you store there? and if =
> you could give me an example of real-life uses please.

You can store beer, juice or milk, but you need to escape the drink properly to
get it back fresh and delicious.  ;)

Speaking seriously, BLOB is capable of storing any binary data. There is a long-lasting
religion war about whether it's good to store, say, images in BLOB or not. I don't want
to dive in that flame, but I must admit that both ways (storing binary data in BLOB or
just a filename where the data is) has their pros and cons.

Probably, the most popular real-life usage is storing generated website images
(thumbnails) in BLOB fields.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
 / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__   Egor.Egorov@stripped
       <___/   www.mysql.com

Thread
What would you store in a BLOB field?Levi Campbell7 Aug
  • Re: What would you store in a BLOB field?Dan Nelson7 Aug
    • Re: What would you store in a BLOB field?Daniel Lahey7 Aug
  • Re: What would you store in a BLOB field?Rhino7 Aug
  • Re: What would you store in a BLOB field?Rhino7 Aug
  • Re: What would you store in a BLOB field?Egor Egorov10 Aug
RE: What would you store in a BLOB field?Scott Hamm10 Aug
  • RE: What would you store in a BLOB field?SGreen10 Aug
RE: What would you store in a BLOB field?Scott Hamm10 Aug