List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Curtis Date:August 9 2004 4:10pm
Subject:Re: Selecting data from 2 tables.
View as plain text

> What he is really missing is the WHERE clause that matches something from
> pages with something from pdflog....    Without it he is requesting a
> Cartesian product of his tables (every combination of each row from both
> tables).
>
> I prefer to define my JOINS *explicitly*. It makes it harder to
> accidentally define Cartesian products):
>
> SELECT DISTINCT company
> FROM pages
> INNER JOIN pdflog
> ON ...some condition goes here ....
> ORDER BY company
>
> Shawn Green
> Database Administrator
> Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

 OK now I really really feel stupid. Now that I've been given the correct
way this particular person wants this done. What I need to produce is a
distinct list from pages.magazine and pdflog.magazine without a condition.
Just a list of all data in these table columns without duplicates.

Ed

Thread
Selecting data from 2 tables.Ed Curtis9 Aug
  • Re: Selecting data from 2 tables.Martijn Tonies9 Aug
    • Re: Selecting data from 2 tables.Ed Curtis9 Aug
    • Re: Selecting data from 2 tables.SGreen9 Aug