List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Curtis Date:August 9 2004 3:47pm
Subject:Re: Selecting data from 2 tables.
View as plain text
On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 SGreen@stripped wrote:

> He does have a join. He has an *implied* INNER JOIN
> (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/JOIN.html):
>
> FROM pages, pdflog
>
> What he is really missing is the WHERE clause that matches something from
> pages with something from pdflog....    Without it he is requesting a
> Cartesian product of his tables (every combination of each row from both
> tables).
>
> I prefer to define my JOINS *explicitly*. It makes it harder to
> accidentally define Cartesian products):
>
> SELECT DISTINCT company
> FROM pages
> INNER JOIN pdflog
> ON ...some condition goes here ....
> ORDER BY company
>
> Shawn Green

 Like I said I knew I was missing something. I just couldn't for the life
of me remember what it was. All I needed was a nudge.

Thanks all,

Ed

Thread
Selecting data from 2 tables.Ed Curtis9 Aug
  • Re: Selecting data from 2 tables.Martijn Tonies9 Aug
    • Re: Selecting data from 2 tables.Ed Curtis9 Aug
    • Re: Selecting data from 2 tables.SGreen9 Aug