List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daniel Lahey Date:August 7 2004 3:03am
Subject:Re: What would you store in a BLOB field?
View as plain text
Another use for binary columns is for case-sensitive text such as
passwords.  If you store text in a CHAR, VARCHAR, or TEXT column,
comparisons will not be case-sensitive unless you use the BINARY
keyword.  An example (from section 6.3.22 of the Language Reference:

mysql> SELECT "a" = "A";
	-> 1
mysql> SELECT BINARY "a" = "A";
	-> 0

On Aug 6, 2004, at 7:10 PM, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Aug 06), Levi Campbell said:
>> I know the blob field is binary but what would you store there? and
>> if you could give me an example of real-life uses please.
>
> Say you want to have multiple remote webservers all serving the same
> data.  Create a table with "filename", "mtime", and "content" fields
> and replicate it to a mysql database on each server.  The "content"
> field would be a blob.  You could also add custom HTML fields, like
>
> You could have an employee table, with their photo in a blob field.
>
> You could implement your own full-text index by creating a table next
> to a table of documents, with a "word" field, and a blob field
> containing a compressed bitmap of documents containing that word.
> Searches would be done by pulling the bitmaps for each search word and
> AND/OR'ing them (I have done this; it works well).
>
> --
> 	Dan Nelson
> 	dnelson@stripped

What would you store in a BLOB field?Levi Campbell7 Aug
  • Re: What would you store in a BLOB field?Dan Nelson7 Aug
    • Re: What would you store in a BLOB field?Daniel Lahey7 Aug
  • Re: What would you store in a BLOB field?Rhino7 Aug
  • Re: What would you store in a BLOB field?Rhino7 Aug
  • Re: What would you store in a BLOB field?Egor Egorov10 Aug
RE: What would you store in a BLOB field?Scott Hamm10 Aug
  • RE: What would you store in a BLOB field?SGreen10 Aug
RE: What would you store in a BLOB field?Scott Hamm10 Aug