List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:August 5 2004 7:25pm
Subject:Re: Why drop a index takes so long to do?
View as plain text
At 01:27 PM 8/5/2004, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a 3GB index which includes a fulltext index on 2 columns. I
>wanted to drop this fulltext index from the table, but it took
>forever. Why it is so slow? Is it because MySQL basically go through
>the index file (there is only one) and re-write it to another file and
>then copy it back?
>
>Any other fast way to drop a index like this?
>
>Thanks
>
>Haitao

Haito,
         As you already surmised, the "Drop Index" does an "Alter Table"
and this will back up the table in case it fails during the operation.
There is a link
http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=efficiently+handling+large+amounts+of+data+in+mysql&btnG=Search

which describes how to quickly drop an index (half way down the page). Hope
this helps.

Mike

Thread
Why drop a index takes so long to do?Haitao Jiang5 Aug
  • Re: Why drop a index takes so long to do?mos5 Aug
  • Re: Why drop a index takes so long to do?Jeremy Zawodny5 Aug
    • Re: Why drop a index takes so long to do?Dan Nelson5 Aug