List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:luuk Date:April 12 1999 1:25pm
Subject:Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?
View as plain text
>This is really directed at the MySQL testing team butI would
be
>interested in anyone who cares to comment:
>
>When you give performance statistics, is it fair or honest to
compare an
>SQL database running on NT with one running on LINUX?
>(or indeed ANY UNIX)
>
>I have been an SQL database dba and/or freelance contractor in
the
>testing and trouble-shooting business for 10 years and in the
same type
>of business full-time for eight years before that and have
worked with
>ORACLE, SYBASE, INFORMIX and INGRES and in general they are all
slower
>than MySQL - some considerably so.  It depends on how much
functionality
>is built in to the server, SYBASE the least therefore the
fastest,
>ORACLE the most therefore the slowest.
>
>However, I have SYBASE 11.0.3.3 running on identical x86 boxes,
one
>under NT 4.00(SP3) and one under LINUX 5.02 and on average the
LINUX
>version runs between 2-3 times faster. Whether a particular
>test/function runs 2 or 3 times faster depends on disk i/o,
faster if
>there is more i/o.
>
>Hands-on-heart, honest, comments anyone?

I don't think you can compare NT with linux but it's handy I
think for showing people who are thinking of ... what todo ...
NT machine or linux machine ...
Further it's nice to compare the different db's on NT and I will
do it also in the future for the different db's under linux.
Specially the difference between sybase/oracle/informix and on
NT microsoft sql server.

Further I think it's allways hard to compare the different db's
because everyone will say of each db that the configuration was
bad ... what to say about that ...

Greetz...

Luuk

Thread
Above-board and beyond reproach?Brian Timmins12 Apr
  • Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Fred Read12 Apr
    • Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Vivek Khera12 Apr
  • Above-board and beyond reproach?Michael Widenius13 Apr
  • Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Ed Carp13 Apr
Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Fred Lindberg12 Apr
Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?luuk12 Apr
Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Christopher R. Jones12 Apr