List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:luuk Date:April 12 1999 1:25pm
Subject:Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?
View as plain text
>This is really directed at the MySQL testing team butI would
>interested in anyone who cares to comment:
>When you give performance statistics, is it fair or honest to
compare an
>SQL database running on NT with one running on LINUX?
>(or indeed ANY UNIX)
>I have been an SQL database dba and/or freelance contractor in
>testing and trouble-shooting business for 10 years and in the
same type
>of business full-time for eight years before that and have
worked with
>ORACLE, SYBASE, INFORMIX and INGRES and in general they are all
>than MySQL - some considerably so.  It depends on how much
>is built in to the server, SYBASE the least therefore the
>ORACLE the most therefore the slowest.
>However, I have SYBASE running on identical x86 boxes,
>under NT 4.00(SP3) and one under LINUX 5.02 and on average the
>version runs between 2-3 times faster. Whether a particular
>test/function runs 2 or 3 times faster depends on disk i/o,
faster if
>there is more i/o.
>Hands-on-heart, honest, comments anyone?

I don't think you can compare NT with linux but it's handy I
think for showing people who are thinking of ... what todo ...
NT machine or linux machine ...
Further it's nice to compare the different db's on NT and I will
do it also in the future for the different db's under linux.
Specially the difference between sybase/oracle/informix and on
NT microsoft sql server.

Further I think it's allways hard to compare the different db's
because everyone will say of each db that the configuration was
bad ... what to say about that ...

Above-board and beyond reproach?Brian Timmins12 Apr
  • Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Fred Read12 Apr
    • Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Vivek Khera12 Apr
  • Above-board and beyond reproach?Michael Widenius13 Apr
  • Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Ed Carp13 Apr
Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Fred Lindberg12 Apr
Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?luuk12 Apr
Re: Above-board and beyond reproach?Christopher R. Jones12 Apr