List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:July 28 2004 4:16pm
Subject:Re: SHOW TABLE STATUS in MySQL 4.1.latest different from 4.1.1 !?
View as plain text
Paul,

> >>  >From the MySQL doc :
> >>
> >>  The ENGINE and TYPE options specify the storage engine for the table.
> >>  ENGINE was added in MySQL 4.0.18 (for 4.0) and 4.1.2 (for 4.1). It is
the
> >>  preferred option name as of those versions, and TYPE has become
> >>  deprecated. TYPE will be supported throughout the 4.x series, but
likely
> >>  will be removed in MySQL 5.1.
> >>
> >>  So I assume it makes sense to change it also for SHOW TABLE STATUS :)
> >
> >Well, in that case - the documentation fails to document the behaviour
:-)

> >The latest 4.1 beta does NOT have a "Type" column.
>
> The current manual does document it:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/SHOW_TABLE_STATUS.html

It documents "Engine" instead of "Type", but I cannot find the
part about deprecating "Type" in favor of "Engine".

> >Remove it in 5 or 5.1, fine - that's a major (and next major minor
> >release). But not in a sub-minor release.
> >
> >A mistake then?
>
> A decision you disagree with.

A decision that has been taken waaaaay too lightly. If you expect
third party developers to tune their applications to every minor
sub-release, you will have a hard time gaining their thrust and
expecting them to support the latest and the greatest.

Would you expect us to stay away from 4.1 until it's become
stable?

> It's hard to win on this kind of thing.  If we don't make changes, people
> say development is too slow.  If we do, development is said to be
arbitrary.
> Anyway, it's documented now.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
SHOW TABLE STATUS in MySQL 4.1.latest different from 4.1.1 !?Martijn Tonies28 Jul
  • Re: SHOW TABLE STATUS in MySQL 4.1.latest different from 4.1.1 !?Martijn Tonies28 Jul
    • Re: SHOW TABLE STATUS in MySQL 4.1.latest different from 4.1.1 !?Dan Nelson28 Jul
    • Re: SHOW TABLE STATUS in MySQL 4.1.latest different from 4.1.1 !?Paul DuBois28 Jul
  • Re: SHOW TABLE STATUS in MySQL 4.1.latest different from 4.1.1 !?Martijn Tonies28 Jul