List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 28 2004 3:28pm
Subject:Re: SHOW TABLE STATUS in MySQL 4.1.latest different from 4.1.1 !?
View as plain text
At 14:36 +0200 7/28/04, Martijn Tonies wrote:
>Hi Jocelyn,
>
>>  >From the MySQL doc :
>>
>>  The ENGINE and TYPE options specify the storage engine for the table.
>>  ENGINE was added in MySQL 4.0.18 (for 4.0) and 4.1.2 (for 4.1). It is the
>>  preferred option name as of those versions, and TYPE has become
>>  deprecated. TYPE will be supported throughout the 4.x series, but likely
>>  will be removed in MySQL 5.1.
>>
>>  So I assume it makes sense to change it also for SHOW TABLE STATUS :)
>
>Well, in that case - the documentation fails to document the behaviour :-)
>
>The latest 4.1 beta does NOT have a "Type" column.

The current manual does document it:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/SHOW_TABLE_STATUS.html

>Remove it in 5 or 5.1, fine - that's a major (and next major minor
>release). But not in a sub-minor release.
>
>A mistake then?

A decision you disagree with.

It's hard to win on this kind of thing.  If we don't make changes, people
say development is too slow.  If we do, development is said to be arbitrary.
Anyway, it's documented now.

>With regards,
>
>Martijn Tonies
>Database Workbench - developer tool for InterBase, Firebird, MySQL & MS SQL
>Server.
>Upscene Productions
>http://www.upscene.com
>

>>  >
>>  > I just noticed that the MySQL 4.1.latest version handles
>>  > a SHOW TABLE STATUS different from 4.1.1!
>>  >
>>  > Instead of a field "Type" that holds the table type, it's
>>  > now "Engine".
>>  >
>>  > Just a quick question: who makes up these changes in
>>  > a minor minor (x.x.x) release???? What do they expect
>>  > from third party developers?
>>  >
>>  > In short: this is a stupid change.
>>  >
>>  > With regards,
>>  >
>>  > Martijn Tonies
>>  > Database Workbench - developer tool for InterBase, Firebird, MySQL &
> MS
>>  > SQL
>>  > Server.
>>  > Upscene Productions
>>  > http://www.upscene.com
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > --
>>  > MySQL General Mailing List
>>  > For list archives: http://lists.mysql.com/mysql
>>  > To unsubscribe:
>http://lists.mysql.com/mysql?unsub=1
>>  >
>>  >

>--

Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
Thread
SHOW TABLE STATUS in MySQL 4.1.latest different from 4.1.1 !?Martijn Tonies28 Jul
  • Re: SHOW TABLE STATUS in MySQL 4.1.latest different from 4.1.1 !?Martijn Tonies28 Jul
    • Re: SHOW TABLE STATUS in MySQL 4.1.latest different from 4.1.1 !?Dan Nelson28 Jul
    • Re: SHOW TABLE STATUS in MySQL 4.1.latest different from 4.1.1 !?Paul DuBois28 Jul
  • Re: SHOW TABLE STATUS in MySQL 4.1.latest different from 4.1.1 !?Martijn Tonies28 Jul