List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:July 27 2004 8:14am
Subject:Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express? (long)
View as plain text
> [snip]
> | SQLExpress is not MSDE, it looks like it though. SQLExpress
> | has a 4Gb limit/database and I don't recall a user limit, but a
> | concurrent-load limit of 5. That is, many can connect, but only
> | 5 concurrent batches (select/insert/script) can be ran at the
> | same time. This is controlled by the server, so no need to code
> | around it or something like that...
> |

> Martijn,
>
> Sorry, skipped right past the fact he was asking about SQLServer
> Express, however I consider 'Express' to be the MSDE of SQLServer 2k5,
> with a few higher limits. However consider that SQLServer Express is 1.)
> Not a shipping product (it's in Beta), and 2.) Requires the .Net
> framework version 2.0 to be installed (which is _also_ a beta), which
> (in my opinion) makes it not suitable for an ISV to look at _yet_.

Oh, agreed to that.

Anyway, MSDE 2 (the MSDE version of SQL Server 2000) could
be used if you have meet the license restrictions. All in all, it doesn't
really matter. btw, I doubt there will be an MSDE 3 - I think it will
be replaced by SQL Server Express...

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express?Steve Richter26 Jul
  • Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express?Ruben26 Jul
  • Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express?Mark Matthews26 Jul
    • Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express?justin26 Jul
      • Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express?Mark Matthews26 Jul
  • Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express? (long)Martijn Tonies26 Jul
    • Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express? (long)Mark Matthews26 Jul
  • Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express? (long)Martijn Tonies27 Jul