List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:July 26 2004 7:58pm
Subject:Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express? (long)
View as plain text
Hi Steve,

> In light of the licensing restrictions on using MySql in a commercial
> package, why would MySql be prefered over Firebird or SQL Server 2005
> express edition. Both appear to be no charge to redistribute compared to
the
> $250 for MySql.
>
> http://firebird.sourceforge.net/
>
> http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/sql/default.aspx

Well, IMO, Firebird is much easier to use than SQL Express -
less locking issues, much more platforms ... Then again, I know
Firebird pretty much inside out.

Firebird also has Triggers and Stored Procedures, Check
Constraints and Views, all of which don't exist in MySQL.
(don't start about MySQL 5 - that's a no-go area)

>Mysql is easier to install than Firebird

I have to disagree there, coming from a Win32 world.
MySQL, on the other hand, has much more security related
features (hosts etc that can be banned/granted). Security
in Firebird should have some significant changes in v2 though.

Firebird, as an open source project, is also relatively new.
Many things, like a clear roadmap etc are still to be created.
The Firebird Foundation is doing pretty well in collecting
funds and has recently entered its second year.

>MSDE has volume and concurrency limitations that are imposed by MS,
>compared to MySQL (IIRC, 25 concurrent users, and 2GB per database). It
>also is only available on the Windows platform.

SQLExpress is not MSDE, it looks like it though. SQLExpress
has a 4Gb limit/database and I don't recall a user limit, but a
concurrent-load limit of 5. That is, many can connect, but only
5 concurrent batches (select/insert/script) can be ran at the
same time. This is controlled by the server, so no need to code
around it or something like that...

>FirebirdSQL is an excellent project, but as far as I know there is not a
>single organization that stands behind it providing support, training,
>etc. as MySQL AB does with the MySQL product line.

Right, this is true. Firebird (the project) isn't owned by anyone
except the Firebird Admin group. It's direction is closely monitored
by the Firebird Foundation - the two groups cooperate together
with regards to funds, direction and PR.

btw, Mark, Firebird is called Firebird, not FirebirdSQL.

As somesaid earlier, IBPhoenix can deliver top-notch training as
some of the long-time InterBase people started that company.

>You are also much more likely to find people and third-party products
>that know, understand and work with MySQL than those that can work with
>FirebirdSQL out there in the marketplace.

Well, of course, but MySQL has been around much much longer
than Firebird. However, Firebird is on the rise, and many InterBase
(it's parent) products and third-party-product companies now
provide tools for Firebird as well (ourselves included).

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express?Steve Richter26 Jul
  • Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express?Ruben26 Jul
  • Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express?Mark Matthews26 Jul
    • Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express?justin26 Jul
      • Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express?Mark Matthews26 Jul
  • Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express? (long)Martijn Tonies26 Jul
    • Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express? (long)Mark Matthews26 Jul
  • Re: why use MySql instead of Firebird or SQL Server express? (long)Martijn Tonies27 Jul