List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mojtaba Faridzad Date:July 26 2004 2:55pm
Subject:how to deal with a string of categories
View as plain text
Hi,

I'd like to know how you guys write SQL command for this problem. there are
some categories which I give them "A", "B", ... and I have a string field
(catstr) with 10 characters in "mytable" to keep selected categories in a
record. when user selects "C", "G", "K", I keep "CGK" in "catstr" field.
categories has been defined in "cattable". now I want to write a query to
retreive these catergories. query will have 10 columns ("catstr" is 10
characters) with description of categories. it means user doesn't see "C",
or "G".

I tried to open 10 times "cattable" with different alias and make the query
but it looks like MySQL doesn't like it and doesn't let me open the same
table more than once (even with different alias). I can create 10 temporary
tables and solve this problem and it doesn't look good. or I can create my
query with 10 CASE commands with I create them base on "cattable". how you
guys solve this problem? maybe there is a better solution which I don't know
and very neat can solve this problem.

thanks,
Mojtaba

Thread
Errcode: 27J S23 Jul
Re: Errcode: 27Aman Raheja23 Jul
Re: Errcode: 27J S24 Jul
RE: Errcode: 27J S24 Jul
  • Fulltext boolean search resultsleegold25 Jul
    • Re: Fulltext boolean search resultsMichael Stassen25 Jul
      • Re: Fulltext boolean search resultsleegold25 Jul
        • Re: Fulltext boolean search resultsMichael Stassen25 Jul
RE: Errcode: 27J S26 Jul
  • how to deal with a string of categoriesMojtaba Faridzad26 Jul
    • Re: how to deal with a string of categoriesBrent Baisley26 Jul
    • Re: how to deal with a string of categoriesSGreen26 Jul
      • Re: how to deal with a string of categoriesMojtaba Faridzad26 Jul
        • Re: how to deal with a string of categoriesSGreen26 Jul
  • Re: how to deal with a string of categoriesMartijn Tonies26 Jul
  • how to set timeout processMojtaba Faridzad27 Jul
    • /etc/my.cnfWolfgang Riedel27 Jul
      • Re: /etc/my.cnfWolfgang Riedel27 Jul
RE: Errcode: 27J S26 Jul
RE: how to set timeout processVictor Pendleton27 Jul
  • Re: how to set timeout processMojtaba Faridzad27 Jul
  • A possible bugLeonardo Javier Belén27 Jul
RE: Errcode: 27J S27 Jul
Re: A possible bugLeonardo Javier Belén28 Jul