List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:leegold Date:July 25 2004 2:09am
Subject:Re: Fulltext boolean search results
View as plain text
<Michael.Stassen@stripped> said:
>  From the manual
>  <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Fulltext_Search.html>:
>
> > MySQL uses a very simple parser to split text into words. A word is any
> > sequence of characters consisting of letters, digits, ', or _. Some
> > words are ignored in full-text searches:
> >
> >  Any word that is too short is ignored...
>
> . and - are non-word characters, so they are treated as word separators.
> Hence, your query is asking for documents containing 'BT', '1034', and
> '06'.
>   The first and last are too short, so they are dropped, resulting in a
> search for just '1034'.  Documents are indexed similarly, so each of the
> examples you give are indexed as '1034' only; the parts before and after
> are too short and not indexed.  So you get the results you indicate.
>
> When you add the quotes, results which match '1034' are then filtered for
> matches containing the exact text in quotes, "BT-1034.06" in this case,
> yielding the result you want.

Thanks for the explanation.
BT-1034.02 is one of many primary keys. I suppose
Fulltext is a natural language search and not the
tool to use when searching for specific primary keys.

I could regex user search input and if I see anything
between a '-' or '.' that's less than 4 chars I could ""
the whole string(?)

Wonder what google or yahoo do?

Is there a way around this? Why is it the default?

Lee

> Michael
>
> leegold wrote:
>
> > If I search on:
> > BT-1034.06
> > I get returned:
> > BT-1034.02
> > BT-1034.03
> > BT-1034.05
> > BT-1034.11
> >
> > If I put in "" ie. "BT-1034.06"
> > I only get BT-1034.06 returned.
> > The BT- part seems irrelevant.
> >
> > But I don't understand the results.
> > Why so many returned? Seems like 1034.06
> > w/out the "" is unique enough. Is '.' a special
> > character and the cause? If no simple answer
> > I'll show you my code if necessary. Thanks for the help.
> > 4.1.3a-beta for win32
> > Lee G.

Thread
Errcode: 27J S23 Jul
Re: Errcode: 27Aman Raheja23 Jul
Re: Errcode: 27J S24 Jul
RE: Errcode: 27J S24 Jul
  • Fulltext boolean search resultsleegold25 Jul
    • Re: Fulltext boolean search resultsMichael Stassen25 Jul
      • Re: Fulltext boolean search resultsleegold25 Jul
        • Re: Fulltext boolean search resultsMichael Stassen25 Jul
RE: Errcode: 27J S26 Jul
  • how to deal with a string of categoriesMojtaba Faridzad26 Jul
    • Re: how to deal with a string of categoriesBrent Baisley26 Jul
    • Re: how to deal with a string of categoriesSGreen26 Jul
      • Re: how to deal with a string of categoriesMojtaba Faridzad26 Jul
        • Re: how to deal with a string of categoriesSGreen26 Jul
  • Re: how to deal with a string of categoriesMartijn Tonies26 Jul
  • how to set timeout processMojtaba Faridzad27 Jul
    • /etc/my.cnfWolfgang Riedel27 Jul
      • Re: /etc/my.cnfWolfgang Riedel27 Jul
RE: Errcode: 27J S26 Jul
RE: how to set timeout processVictor Pendleton27 Jul
  • Re: how to set timeout processMojtaba Faridzad27 Jul
  • A possible bugLeonardo Javier Belén27 Jul
RE: Errcode: 27J S27 Jul
Re: A possible bugLeonardo Javier Belén28 Jul