List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:July 20 2004 7:43am
Subject:Re: Relational Integrity
View as plain text
Hi Roy,

If this is a business application, don't go without
transactions and foreign keys. Plain and simple.

Use InnoDB.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

> I need so general guidance on relational integrity.
> I'm setting up a reasonably small DB with 30 or so
> tables for a machine control application. Several of
> the tables will have referential links to each other
> (e.g. a finished part table will link to a master
> part type table via the product ID number).
> None of my table will ever contain more than a few
> hundred thousand records.
>
> This database is a conversion from an existing MS SQL7
> system in which I made extensive use of foreign keys.
> SQL7 has worked out well in the past but Windows and
> VBNet has ceased to be an efficient machine control
> development environment. We have decided
> to migrate to Linux on all of our new systems where
> practical.
>
> My first stab at a MySQL implementation is to use the
> MyISAM table structure and not the InnoDB structure,
> foregoing the use of explicit foreign keys and letting
> my apps take care of the relational integrity. I gathered
> from reading DuBois that this is not an uncommon approach
> to a MySQL implementation. Question: Are the advantages
> of MyISAM tables vs. InnoDB tables sufficient for me
> to continue this approach or am I better off setting
> up InnoDB tables throughout?

Thread
Relational IntegrityRoy Harrell19 Jul
  • Re: Relational IntegrityMartijn Tonies20 Jul
    • Re: Relational IntegritySinger Wang20 Jul
RE: Relational IntegrityJohn McCaskey19 Jul
  • RE: Relational IntegrityLachlan Mulcahy20 Jul
    • RE: Relational IntegrityLachlan Mulcahy20 Jul