List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gil Vidals Date:July 14 2004 4:04pm
Subject:deleting millions of records did not change the file size
View as plain text
My question in brief is why wouldn't the physical mysql files change in size
if a substantial percentage of the records are deleted from a given table???

I have a table which contained 13.5 million records. I then deleted 6.5
million records; however, the physical file size did not change.

The file size before was:
 12K -rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql        8.7K Nov 28  2003
position_log.frm
1006M -rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql       1005M Jul 13 15:42
position_log.MYD
 233M -rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql        232M Jul 13 15:43
position_log.MYI

The file size after deleting 6.5 M records is:
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql        8.7K Nov 28  2003
/data1/mysql/positionresearch/position_log.frm
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql       1005M Jul 14 07:32
/data1/mysql/positionresearch/position_log.MYD
-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql        232M Jul 14 07:32
/data1/mysql/positionresearch/position_log.MYI

Gil.Vidals@stripped
Position Research, Inc.
Search engine results by research
tel: (760) 480-8291 fax: (760) 480-8271
www.PositionResearch.com

Thread
deleting millions of records did not change the file sizeGil Vidals14 Jul
  • Re: deleting millions of records did not change the file sizeDan Nelson14 Jul
  • Re: deleting millions of records did not change the file sizemos14 Jul
RE: deleting millions of records did not change the file sizeMarvin Wright14 Jul