List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:July 9 2004 2:29pm
Subject:Re: Cost of joins?
View as plain text
Hi Michael,

> >> After adding a column for "one level up", adding indexes, optimizing
the
> >> query it took only a few hundreds of seconds.
> >
> > Of course, indices should be added to get acceptable performance.
> > That's what they are here for.
> >
> > Nevertheless, your database design should be based on logic
> > and all data should be stored normalized. If you're de-normalizing
> > your design to get better performance, then there's something
> > wrong with the database engine (whatever engine that may be).
>
> Unfortunately, there is not a perfect database engine. Sometimes you have
> to break normalization to get acceptable performance, especially when you
> can't through more hardware at the problem. I have no doubt that some day
> every problem that must be de-normalized now for acceptable performance
> can be renormalized at some future time. But you can't know when that
> future time will be exactly and must accept a compromise in the meantime.

What you're saying is true. The difference is, that I will start saying:
don't bother about joins causing trouble unless they do.

That's different than starting to ask "do joins cause trouble".

I think we agree on that.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
Cost of joins?Margaret MacDonald9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Jigal van Hemert9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies9 Jul
    • Re: Cost of joins?Alec.Cawley9 Jul
    • RE: Cost of joins?Lachlan Mulcahy12 Jul
      • Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies12 Jul
      • Re: query gets count wrongGerald Taylor12 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Alec.Cawley9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Jigal van Hemert9 Jul
    • Re: Cost of joins?Jochem van Dieten9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies9 Jul
    • Re: Cost of joins?Alec.Cawley9 Jul
      • Re: Cost of joins?Jochem van Dieten9 Jul
    • Re: Cost of joins?(Michael Johnson)9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Jigal van Hemert9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies9 Jul
RE: Cost of joins?Bob)9 Jul
Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies9 Jul
Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies9 Jul