List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Johnson Date:July 9 2004 1:14pm
Subject:Re: Cost of joins?
View as plain text
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:55:40 +0200, Martijn Tonies <m.tonies@stripped>
wrote:

>> > If you need more performance, throw more hardware at it -
>> > a larger cache (settings -> memory), faster disks and a faster CPU.
>>
>> After adding a column for "one level up", adding indexes, optimizing the
>> query it took only a few hundreds of seconds.
>
> Of course, indices should be added to get acceptable performance.
> That's what they are here for.
>
> Nevertheless, your database design should be based on logic
> and all data should be stored normalized. If you're de-normalizing
> your design to get better performance, then there's something
> wrong with the database engine (whatever engine that may be).

Unfortunately, there is not a perfect database engine. Sometimes you have
to break normalization to get acceptable performance, especially when you
can't through more hardware at the problem. I have no doubt that some day
every problem that must be de-normalized now for acceptable performance
can be renormalized at some future time. But you can't know when that
future time will be exactly and must accept a compromise in the meantime.

Michael

--
Michael Johnson < mjohnson@stripped >
Internet Application Programmer, Pitsco, Inc.
  • Re: Cost of joins?Alec.Cawley9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Jigal van Hemert9 Jul
    • Re: Cost of joins?Jochem van Dieten9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies9 Jul
    • Re: Cost of joins?Alec.Cawley9 Jul
      • Re: Cost of joins?Jochem van Dieten9 Jul
    • Re: Cost of joins?(Michael Johnson)9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Jigal van Hemert9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies9 Jul
RE: Cost of joins?Bob)9 Jul
Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies9 Jul
Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies9 Jul