List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Alec.Cawley Date:July 9 2004 1:01pm
Subject:Re: Cost of joins?
View as plain text
"Martijn Tonies" <m.tonies@stripped> wrote on 09/07/2004 13:55:40:

> If you're de-normalizing
> your design to get better performance, then there's something
> wrong with the database engine (whatever engine that may be).

Nearly always, but not absolutely always. I have a table with columns
        primary start
        primary finish
        secondary start
        secondary finish

Since it is defined that the distance between start and finish is the same
for both primary and secondary, this is denormalised, since secondary
finish is always given by secondary start + (primary finish - primary
start). However, I want to use all four fields as indexes, including
secondary finish. Does any database allow indexes on complex functions of
columns rather than on columns themselves? Or is this just a defect in
MySQL?

        Alec

Thread
Cost of joins?Margaret MacDonald9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Jigal van Hemert9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies9 Jul
    • Re: Cost of joins?Alec.Cawley9 Jul
    • RE: Cost of joins?Lachlan Mulcahy12 Jul
      • Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies12 Jul
      • Re: query gets count wrongGerald Taylor12 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Alec.Cawley9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Jigal van Hemert9 Jul
    • Re: Cost of joins?Jochem van Dieten9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies9 Jul
    • Re: Cost of joins?Alec.Cawley9 Jul
      • Re: Cost of joins?Jochem van Dieten9 Jul
    • Re: Cost of joins?(Michael Johnson)9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Jigal van Hemert9 Jul
  • Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies9 Jul
RE: Cost of joins?Bob)9 Jul
Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies9 Jul
Re: Cost of joins?Martijn Tonies9 Jul