List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 1 2004 12:36am
Subject:Re: mysqld_safe in 4.1.2
View as plain text
At 13:58 -0700 6/30/04, Bill MacAllister wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am a bit confused by processing of user= specifications in the
>mysqld_safe script.  Here is what I see:
>
>* If user= is specificed in the [mysqld] or [server] sections then it is
>  ignored and a flag is set that prevents the specification of a user
>  in any subsequent options parsing.
>
>* Otherwise the user will be extracted and used from either the [mysqld_safe],
>  [safe_mysqld], or command line arguements.

Not quite.  For security reasons, only the *first* encountered instance
of the user option is used, and any others are ignored.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Server_options.html

See the descripion of --user in the option list.

>This is counter intuitive if nothing else, and I really don't see
>why user should be parsed any differently than any other options.
>Am I missing something or is this a bug?

It's by intent.

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA