List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From: Date:January 1 1970 12:00am
Subject:Re: GUID storage
View as plain text
Nowhere in this discussion was this question.

Is it in the plans to have a 128 bit numeric column type for MySQL? If
so, in what kind of time frame? If not, why not?

Character arrays are obviously, but they are probably not the best way
to get optimal performance. Native support for a 128 bit number, usable
as a UUID, would be better.

- ray

On May 12, 2004, at 3:07 PM, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 02:50:55PM -0700, Larry Lowry wrote:
>> Well I'm trying to move to MySQL from the MS SQL Server
>> world.  Most data elements are easy except for the uniqueidentifier.
>>
>> In the MySQL world what is the preferred/best way to store a
>> uniqueidentifier?  The easiest would just be a char(36).
>
> If you have unique ids that are 36 characters, then use a char(36).
> That seems like the obvious thing to do.
>
> Jeremy
> --
> Jeremy D. Zawodny     |  Perl, Web, MySQL, Linux Magazine, Yahoo!
> <Jeremy@stripped>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/
>
> [book] High Performance MySQL -- http://highperformancemysql.com/

GUID storageLarry Lowry12 May
  • Re: GUID storageMike Hillyer12 May
  • Re: GUID storageJeremy Zawodny12 May
    • Re: GUID storageUnknown Sender29 Jun
      • Re: GUID storageDan Nelson29 Jun
  • Re: GUID storageDan Nelson12 May
  • Re: GUID storageLarry Lowry12 May
    • Re: GUID storageDan Nelson13 May
    • Re: GUID storageSergei Golubchik13 May